The Centennial Building was built in the early 1850s as the Ontario County Courthouse. Designed by prominent architects Frederick Cumberland and Wallace Storm, this building served from 1854 until 1964 as a trial court and a meeting place for County Council. In 1967, a local Centennial project turned the building into a community centre. The courthouse presently houses the Whitby Courthouse Theatre, a banquet facility, local archives and is used by community organization.
Whitby's former courthouse (and now the Centenial Building,) has a ghost or ghosts of many appearances. A large black dog that transforms into a tall man with burning red eyes.
More recently, lights have been reported to go on and off by themselves and the apparition of a person is seen descending from the balcony of the old courtroom.
Our thanks to Ronda Walfield for the photographs of this location.