Page 1 of 3
One of Toronto's if not Canada's grandest and most beautiful pieces of gothic architecture is the imposing Trinity College and chapel. The original structure used to reside on Queen St. West near Ossington and was built by "Toronto John" -- Bishop John Strachan -- who was a curious hero of the War of 1812 between America and Britain (Canada) as well as the absolute pillar of the infamous Family Compact.
These buildings on Hoskin, however, date from between the 1920s through the 1950s. The original structure is long gone and only its imposing gates remain; but does its benefactor haunt this place or even "his" cathedral, The Church of St. James? Apparently not. He seems to prefer the "new" buildings on Hoskin.
There is a portrait of Bishop Strachan that hangs in the Provost's Office, and the eyes of that portrait do seem to follow one about the room. Also, reports say that on the anniversary of his death, his apparition walks the halls of this not-so-ancient-as-it-appears building. Oddly enough, this anniversary follows close after Halloween, November 1st!